Body Map: Hip- Lateral/Outside
This region consists of the Iliotibial or IT Band, the Gluteus Medius/Minimus Muscles and the Tensor Fascia Latae (TFL). In this section you will find our available treatment plans as well as the different self treatment techniques on this site.
Injury Treatment Plans for this area:
(* note. each treatment plan includes a free downloadable PDF. Here's a post on how to use them.)
1) IT Band Syndrome (ITBS). Click here.
This is part of our "Injury of the Week" blog series. Each post will talk about what the injury is and how it can happen. It will then take you through all five steps of the ATA self treatment system.
Individual Parts of Self Treatment System:
Part 1. Self Muscle Massage.
- Blog post with anatomy review, video and picture demonstration of self muscle release techniques for the lateral hip using a foam roller and tennis ball. Click Here.
Part 2. Mobilizations.
- Blog post on how to mobilize the Gluteus Medius/ITB using a tennis ball. Click here.
- Blog post on how to mobilize the outside of the hip joint and adductors using resistance band. Click here.
Part 3. Stretching.
- Blog post on stretches for the outside of the hip. Click here.
- TFL stretch (video). Click here. (this is part of a series on IT Band syndrome. Scroll down to video and pics)
Part 4. Kinesiology Taping.
- Taping application for the IT Band (to decrease activity and allow for healing). Click here.
Part 5. Strengthening
Right now our strength advice is specific to our "injury of the week" blog series (see top of this page for injuries affecting this area). However, all of our strenghtening videos can be found on our youtube channel (link at top of website).